Varieties of cots with soft backs, furniture sizes
An adult spends a third of his life in a dream, and a child spends even more, so it is important to correctly organize his sleeping place. Maximum comfort is provided by a children's bed with a soft back, which is both cozy and safe. Cheerful colors, thematic models will not leave indifferent any child. Adults will appreciate the ergonomic design with the ability to place a bed even in a small room.
As an alternative to the usual and familiar wooden model, manufacturers offer a bed with a soft headboard, which is convenient to lean on. In addition, such furniture is equipped with protective sides, which are stationary and removable. The latter can be completely removed when the child reaches 8-9 years, when there is no longer a risk of falling in a dream. Such furniture has a number of advantages:
- Compact size. The compact design allows you to organize a full-fledged berth, even in a small area of the nursery.
- Benefit for health. Semi-solid filler has orthopedic properties, which has a beneficial effect on the child’s posture.
- Security. The soft back, streamlined shapes, smooth lines without sharp corners will not allow you to accidentally get hurt during an outdoor game.
- The feeling of comfort. The attractive design, focused on children, combined with soft details creates a special warm atmosphere in the room.
A mattress for a child is best chosen with an independent spring unit. Its main advantage is that it takes the form of a body, supporting the spine in its anatomically correct position.
Children's beds have a diverse design. There are restrained classic models suitable for any interior, and more original copies. By design, soft children's beds are not divided into several types:
- With three backs-sides - they will not let the child fall or hit.
- Corner models for efficient use of the space of a small room.
- With pillows - they are laid to the side against the wall, due to which the bed turns into a comfortable sofa. At the same time, it does not need to be folded and laid out, as usual. Dimensional pillows are used, so it is convenient for the child to lean against their backs, they can also be used to sit on the floor.
- Sofa bed. This is the most convenient model for a small room, because at the same time a place is organized for sleeping and daytime spending. Sometimes a children's sofa bed with a soft back is a single bed in assembled form, and a double bed in the unfolded one.
- With a soft headboard. It looks like an ordinary bed, but at its head there is a soft wall, which can also be a place for shelves.From the side of the legs is sometimes a low side.
Manufacturers also produce thematic models in the form of plush toys, houses, castles, planes. For example, in a dog bed, the head is a soft head, and the front legs are sides. The car has the same functions as the hood and side doors. Such furniture is at the same time a place for sleeping and games, its striking design perfectly matches the wishes of the children and has a beneficial effect on mood. But there is a thematic bed and a significant minus - children from it quickly grow.
Dimensions and models of the bed depending on the age of the child
Beds for children need to be selected taking into account age. If bright “cartoon” models are suitable for kids, then adolescents who already consider themselves adults choose a more restrained design and colors. The size of the bed should be one third more than the height of the child so that parents do not have to change furniture in the next couple of years after the purchase, when the son or daughter becomes significantly higher.
A crib with a soft headboard and sides protecting from falls is suitable for the baby. The standard size of a berth is 120 x 60 cm. It is especially important that the furniture for a small child be made of environmentally friendly materials.
For the grown child, the presence of soft sides is not so important. A good option is a sofa bed, which will effectively use the free space. When the furniture is folded, there is a place for sports or games. Thanks to the comfortable back, the sofa bed can serve as a place to relax: reading a book or watching TV.
The optimal size of a berth for a child of 8-12 years old is 130-160 cm in length, 70 cm in width. For children of this age, the bright design of the bed is still relevant - MDF with a color acrylic coating will be a good option. You can also choose light wood furniture.
For a teenager, you need to choose a berth of the same size as for an adult: 80 x 190 or 90 x 200 cm. A model with a soft headboard, which is convenient to lean on to play before bedtime on the phone or read, is perfect. The teenager will probably want to choose the design of the bed himself, but the main thing is to combine it with the existing interior.
Materials of manufacture
The design of a children's bed as a standard consists of a frame, upholstery, filler. You need to pay close attention to these elements when choosing a model. Quality products, including Italian children's beds with a soft headboard, are equipped with a solid wood frame. This is an environmentally friendly material that gives the product high strength and durability. Reliable designs are created from oak, beech, pine, and the most luxurious options are obtained from solid mahogany or walnut.
The frame of MFD, chipboard or a combination thereof is more affordable, but inferior to wood in reliability. The class of material in this case should be only E1, which corresponds to the lowest concentration of formaldehydes, eliminating the risk of allergic reactions.
The beds made of metal are quite durable. They undergo additional processing using chromium plating, nickel plating, staining. There are also combined frames made of wood or metal with plastic, from which the head and foot are usually made. High-quality polymers do not pose a threat, they are easily dyed and have plasticity, so it is easier for them to give the original shape and color.
The bottom requires special attention. The worst option is flat and solid, it does not provide airing of the mattress. Rack and pinion allows air to circulate freely, and orthopedic will save the child from back problems in the future.
For the manufacture of upholstery, the headboard and sides use soft, pleasant to the touch materials. Natural fabrics are preferred - plush, velor, velvet, linen.However, dust accumulates on them, therefore, to maintain an aesthetic appearance, furniture will often have to be cleaned. A good solution would be to use covers that are easy to remove and wash in a machine.
When choosing a baby bed with a soft back without removable elements, it is worth stopping on a leather or eco-leather upholstery. Both materials are unpretentious in leaving, are not subject to attrition. Of course, genuine leather looks more noble, but its artificial counterpart is more affordable.
A filler is used to give softness to the head and sides. Previously, only foam rubber and batting were used. However, now the choice of fillers has become much wider. The main options and their features:
- Polyurethane foam (PUF) - lightweight, wear-resistant and elastic, due to which it holds its shape well, while being inexpensive.
- Foam rubber is light, but over time it can slip.
- Sintepon - does not cause allergies, but quickly wears out, losing elasticity.
- Hollofiber is a modern hypoallergenic material that holds its shape well and is not afraid of stress.
- Latex is a hypoallergenic filler of natural origin, wear-resistant and shape-preserving.
In the manufacture of solid beds, polyurethane foam is often used, which is molded to the dimensions of the workpiece, strictly fitting to the size of the head. When choosing, it is worth remembering that replacing such a part will be problematic.
Criterias of choice
To make the child like the bed and give him a comfortable sleep, there are 4 main points to consider when choosing a product:
- Age. Toddlers need solid sides, but for preschoolers it’s enough for the fencing to reach the middle of the mattress - so they will retain a sense of “refuge”, and will not let the blanket slip away.
- Anthropometric features of the child. The optimal length of a berth is growth indicators plus 20-30 cm.
- The area of the room. For a small room, a children's bed with drawers and a soft back is perfect or an attic model, which has a working area with a table below and a sleeping place at the top.
- Interior. If the bedroom is decorated in bright colors, you can choose a bright bed that will create contrast. If the room has colored walls, it is worthwhile to dwell on furniture of a more restrained design so that the interior does not look too colorful.
Soft beds for children are available in bright colors that will appeal to any child. Drawers are an additional plus, they will help organize the storage of toys and bedding, saving space in a small room. If guided by expert advice, the basic requirements for such furniture look simple - soft corners, no bulges in the berth, natural and non-marking upholstery, bright but not acidic color, which has a beneficial effect on the children's psyche.