What are the furniture moldings, their use for decoration
Molding is a special decorating element that is used for the final decoration of objects, most often in order to change the visual effect. Furniture molding is especially common, which for many years was in demand or forgotten, but today it is a mandatory attribute of modern interior items. Before choosing these elements, you should find out what they are, what they are made of, and how to use them.
Features and purpose
In the interior of residential and non-residential premises, molding can be used for decoration of the ceiling or walls. Even an ordinary baseboard partly performs the function of molding. On the doors to the premises, such decoration is used much less frequently.At present, simplicity is valued in the interior, now the style of "minimalism" is in fashion. And he does not imply a large amount of decor. But history knows the times when ornaments and stucco moldings were used in the decoration of the interior space of buildings, even in abundance.
For a long time and widely used moldings for furniture as the following decorative elements:
- various platbands;
With their help, for example, symmetry can be emphasized or veiled. You can improve the appearance and even give the furniture a more "expensive" image. With the help of decorative elements, you can change the style of furniture. For these purposes, for example, self-adhesive moldings are used. They can do a thing from a simple cabinet both in the era of socialist realism and in classicism, facilitating or adding additional volume to individual parts.
In new furniture, molding performs the following functions:
- decoration of individual elements of new furniture;
- masking of joints, seams of fabric finishes, delimitation of inserts;
- decorative, for a certain style of exposure;
- practical, to protect smooth, soft parts from damage.
Furniture molding is also able to give new life to old headsets, and is also often used to hide scratches, damage, defects.
The material used in the manufacture of furniture moldings should be lightweight, but at the same time sufficiently durable. It should also be easy to install. Modern polymer blends are fully consistent with these requirements. They allow you to make quite complex designs. In this case, furniture moldings are made by casting.
Materials used in the manufacture of moldings:
- polyurethane (a type of foam with small granules) allows you to make light, flexible products with a rounded shape. Insufficient strength must be taken into account and do not use elements where they can be damaged. It is easy to stick, but requires finishing painting;
- wood - the most environmentally friendly, noble material fits well with modern and classic designs.The production of wooden moldings, especially handmade, is very complex, requires high precision. Further details are treated with protective compounds, tinted and varnished;
- plastic - due to moisture resistance, it can be used in bathrooms and kitchens. If it is not possible to choose the finished molding of the desired coloring, it can also be painted independently with water dispersion or alcohol paint;
- metal is the most durable and reliable molding of alloys that are not afraid of corrosion and tarnishing. It is installed both in those places where it is easily damaged, and to protect the furniture itself;
- marble - does not require further processing, extremely strong and durable, it is also indispensable in terms of expressiveness. With proper use, the interior is noticeably ennobled;
- metal plastic - combines the simplicity of giving complex shapes in the manufacture and increased resistance to shock, the appearance of cracks.
Quickly and creatively changing a typical design is easy and independent if you use a self-adhesive molding invoice. They come in various colors and structures (gold, chrome, beech, alder and others). Some special knowledge when working with them will not be useful. Enough accuracy and dexterity. The application algorithm is as follows:
- outline the location of the decoration;
- remove the protective film;
- for convenience, self-adhesive molding, or the so-called "self-adhesive" is glued in small pieces.
For decoration, a flexible molding for furniture is also used. It also has an adhesive surface. But, compared with the usual "self-adhesive", flexible have more features. They are used to update old furniture, mask cracks, scratches and give it a modern look. Instructions for use:
- clean the surface of paint or varnish, for which remove the doors and disconnect the accessories;
- sand the surface thoroughly;
- make markings so that the lines immediately adhere decor;
- when working, first of all, you need to complete the corners, then fill the gaps.
A sufficiently long service life makes this method budget enough for updating furniture.
Form and texture
The main advantages of molding compared to other means of restoration or decoration of furniture are:
- a variety of forms, from several hundred species you can choose to your taste;
- various textures;
- low cost;
- minimum labor costs when working with him;
Planks can be even, smooth or embossed. The form and texture are selected depending on the creative design. For example, when designing furniture, colored or gilded moldings are chosen. This takes into account both their own taste and stylistic features of the surrounding interior.
Jewelry can be:
As for the form, the moldings can be:
Also, similar elements are:
For metallized painting, two types of coating are used. First, the molding is laminated. Then, using glazing paints, a metallized coating is applied, which creates an imitation of gold, silver or bronze. Using simple tools such as a comb or sponge, you can imitate real materials: marble, leather, wood.
How to change the design with it
Furniture design is inextricably linked with the design of the surrounding interior. Moldings help create custom effects in order to withstand the entire composition in one of a variety of style solutions:
- Art Nouveau;
- high tech;
- Art Deco;
Depending on how the interior will be designed, they acquire moldings in the same style: for the ceiling, walls, furniture. It is very important not to overdo it in quantities so that the house does not look like a museum.
How can I change the design:
- with the help of pads break the wall into separate sections;
- renew the mirrors with jewelry “in gold” or “silver”;
- frames around the windows;
- create ledges on the ceiling;
- unusually decorate furniture, arches, doors;
- Do not decorate, but mask defects on the walls, as well as on the ceiling.
There are no exact recommendations for decorating your own home. Making out the various parts of the room in stages, you can see where what needs to be changed. The most popular trims for decoration are polyurethane or foam. They are inexpensive, but with their help you can make any room unrecognizable. Even without re-sticking the wallpaper, you can update the room to your taste.