Overview of furniture made of stainless steel, the nuances of choice
Previously, stainless steel furniture could only be seen in public institutions: rest homes, schools, kindergartens, parks, catering facilities. But today its design and functionality has expanded significantly, and it is increasingly used.
Pros and cons
Stainless steel items are widespread. They are used both in public places and in ordinary houses and apartments. The popularity of products is associated with many of the advantages possessed by stainless steel furniture:
- reliability - stainless steel products are particularly durable, stable structures;
- durability - the features of the material of manufacture allow the use of such models for a long time. They retain their original appearance for more than one year;
- resistance to corrosion;
- simplicity in leaving - stainless steel does not demand special leaving;
- aesthetic appearance - interior items look organic. They are suitable for any style;
- A wide range of products that differ in size, shape, allows you to choose a model for every taste.
The negative aspects of stainless steel furniture include the fact that their surface is prone to scratches. Therefore, it is not recommended to use aggressive products care products.
Stainless steel furniture today is presented in a huge variety. All types of products have their own characteristics, differ from each other. According to the functional purpose, interior items made of stainless steel can be divided into the following groups:
- furniture for restaurants, cafes, bars (tables, chairs, bar counters, kitchen furniture);
- products for shops, salons, boutiques (showcases, racks, cabinets, shelves);
- interior items for an apartment or a private house (tables, chairs, kitchen sinks, countertops, cabinets);
- furniture for schools, kindergartens (cubicles, tables, desks, chairs, washing baths);
- products from for sports, medical institutions (lockers for locker rooms, medical cabinets, handling tables, racks for hangers, benches for shoes).
The type of surface treatment of stainless steel furniture is:
Furniture also differs in size and shape. Cabinets have a different number of leaves, their filling can be varied: rods, shelves, drawers. They come on wheel bearings or on supports that are adjustable in height.
Where is used
Recently, stainless steel furniture began to be used for domestic purposes. The products gained wide popularity mainly because of their durability.Shelves, display cases from this material look very stylish, and kitchen worktops, sinks are not demanding in care, practical. Tables are adjustable in width and height. Products have special sides that prevent food from entering the walls. In private houses and apartments, metal beds are also not uncommon.
The furniture was also widely used due to the aesthetic appearance and effective glossy surface. Offices and apartments equipped with such furnishings look stylish, rich and prestigious. Shelves, cabinets are incredibly convenient and roomy. For a small room, they will be the best option. Corrosion resistance allows you to install furniture in rooms with high humidity. In addition, beds and trolleys are often used in medical facilities.
Like all types of furniture, stainless steel products require constant care. Models from this material do not require special care, but still some rules are recommended to be followed. Thus, stainless steel furniture and equipment will retain its original appearance.
Caring for furnishings is not difficult. The rules are quite simple:
- regular care - it is much easier to constantly wipe and clean products than to spend money and time on removing old pollution;
- it is recommended to clean the sink, countertop and other kitchen equipment daily from food residues. In the end, be sure to wipe the surface with a dry cloth;
- falling heavy objects can damage the surface of products, so it is important to prevent such incidents;
- to clean the surface of shelves, sinks and other items you need a soft sponge. Abrasive and metallic elements can leave scratches;
- it is not recommended to use products that contain chlorine;
- minor scratches can be easily removed. To do this, there are special pastes that polish the surface of stainless steel furniture;
- To protect stainless steel products from minor scratches and dirt, you can treat their surfaces with special tools. They create a thin film that protects against damage. Such products can be purchased or replaced with edible oil. It also creates a film on the surface, and the effect from it is no worse than from the use of special solutions.
The effect of detergents is recommended to be checked in a small area. If no negative effects are detected, you can proceed to cleaning the entire surface of the products.
What to look for when choosing
For products to last a long time, they must be made of quality materials. When choosing stainless steel furniture, the first thing you need to do is pay attention to the percentage of chromium in the alloy. From this indicator depends:
- product service life;
- resistance to oxidation of furniture.
The more chrome in the composition of furniture, the better their quality. Chromium-nickel steel grades are considered the most popular and reliable. Products from this material do not require special care, durable and safe when in contact with food.
Experts recommend giving preference to furniture, which contains at least 10.5% chromium. These models have a long service life. In addition, before buying, you must carefully examine the appearance of the products. They should not have dents, scratches, scuffs, chips. Damaged surfaces are quickly affected by corrosion.